Thursday, December 10, 2009

The glory of God: Evidence for the heart

On my walk to work this morning I was reminded of a little event from my past which gave me pause to stop and reflect.

****
A long, long time ago, in a land far far away (I believe this happened in Abbotsford), I had a little crush on this girl (this was a long time before I met my lovely wife). We were out having some fun with mutual friends and things were going well: I was charming and funny and we were having a great time (she was definitely impressed). Then came that crucial moment where we lay things out on the table and find out where we stand. She says to me, "You're sweet and funny and kind and you'd make a great boyfriend, but you're not a Christian"...

... [I think to myself] "What?!? Are you f*&%!@# kidding me? Of all the reasons not to date someone that has got to be the stupidest one I've ever heard. Here I am willing to overlook the fact that you are a Christian and you pull this crap? [I was really quite offended, or hurt, or something.. I was angry]

I asked her how she could believe in God. Seriously, what evidence could she give me to support such a ridiculous assertion. And (out of left field) she says, "look at the mountains". Pardon? I ask her a serious question and this is how she responds - 'look at the mountains'? I shake my head. She doesn't have a clue.
****

It was cold this morning. When it's that cold out, you just walk fast with your head down, trying to create and conserve heat. Your hands are buried deep in your pockets; your shoulders are hoisted up towards your ears; and your chin is tucked low into your jacket. You just scurry along with the view of the frozen ground passing by underneath you. But, despite the cold, I couldn't help but look up and look around. It seemed a typical winter morning: the bare trees, the endless grey expanse of sky. Yes, it certainly was a hazy shade of winter. But then I looked north, and oh what a sight. The clouds had withdrawn from the northern horizon; and there, juxtaposed against the dull gray mass, was colour and texture and brilliant glory. I saw great mountains reaching up to the heavens, covered in snow with radiant beams of sunlight breaking across their surface, highlighting every nook and every peak with razor-sharp clarity. I stood in awe.

And then it came to mind. "Look at the mountians" she says. Look at the mountains indeed. Yes, I am a fool; but even this fool knows solid evidence when he sees it. Okay, maybe it's not the kind of forensic evidence that would hold up in a court of law; but this is not a court of law - this is the human heart. I just stood in awe for a moment (a very short moment, remember it was cold), chuckled to myself, dug my hands into my pockets, tucked my chin into my jacket, and walked on.

Some of us aren't ready to see it. Some of us aren't willing. Back then, I was both.

"Look at the mountains" she says... such an absurd response, yet so true.

1 comment:

  1. I likey! Kai and I had a very similar conversation about the mountains today while driving along 64th. I like, and appreciate, that you understand the conversation from both sides.

    ReplyDelete