Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The thing about Mondays...

I guarantee, Monday will come; it always does.

I've heard many people lament how the weekend was good, but 'too short'. Alas, Monday arrives and the fun is apparently over. Don't get me wrong, I love Sundays. I'm not so much a weekend kind of fellow; but Sundays... they're my favourite. The best hour of my week is at church on Sunday morning. The next best hours are all those in between church and bedtime Sunday night. So, yes, I can relate to enjoying the weekend. But inevitably Monday always comes.

It seems to me that there are many people for whom the weekend is the goal of life. For this kind of person the work week is what you trudge through in order to enjoy the weekend. The weekend is where life happens. It's not just weekends though, there are also holidays and vacation time; but the principle seems to stand.

If you can't take some pleasure or satisfaction in the 'Mondays' of life (i.e. those days of work or study - daily life) what use is the weekend? The thing about weekends is that they always end; the thing about Mondays is that they always follow the weekend. We must find a way to find satisfaction or fulfillment of some kind in our everyday tasks. We must learn to value our 'Mondays' of life.

3 comments:

  1. Yes. I have been thinking a lot about this lately too. Due to the fact that I was sick for so long, I was basically just trying to make it through each and every day and really not enjoying much about it. I'm thankful that now I feel better enough to find satisfaction with just making dinner or taking the kids to the park because I can do these things. Hope you had a good Tuesday:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Bah-da bah-da-da-da
    Bah-da bah-da-da-da
    Bah-da bah-da-da-da

    Monday, Monday, so good to me
    Monday mornin', it was all I hoped it would be
    Oh Monday mornin', Monday mornin' couldn't guarantee
    That Monday evenin' you would still be here with me


    Monday, Monday, can't trust that day
    Monday, Monday, sometimes it just turns out that way
    Oh Monday mornin' you gave me no warnin' of what was to be
    Oh Monday, Monday, how could you leave and not take me"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7KrlDZ5Hkw

    ...I don't know about Mondays, but I do know that I like this song ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good musings, as always.
    I had pleasure in my monday today - part of which I owe to some unexpected I-Thou with an old friend :)

    ReplyDelete