Sunday, July 25, 2010

Birthday Reflections: Ad multos annos...

- - - - - - - - - -

Friday was my birthday. I've never really been big on my own birthday. As I recently told a friend, at least you usually get a free meal out of the deal. This year has been the biggest of my birthdays thus far. I truly do feel loved and valued by my friends and family. And perhaps this year more than ever I am cognizant of the debt of love and gratitude that I owe for the wonderful people in my life.

One thing that birthdays do tend to bring is an opportunity for reflection: a chance to take stock of where you have been, where you are, and potentially, where you are going. I'm finding this to be especially true this year. I often joke that I'm a slow learner, but when I get it, I got it. Here I am with just over three decades under my belt now, a belt that is a little bigger than it was just a decade ago, several (thousand) more grey hairs, and a greatly expanded vision and understanding of life. I'm quantifiably well behind many my age (as regards career, possessions, and the like). Yeah, maybe I took a little bit longer getting to where I am, but I think I needed the time to learn, prepare, and grow. One thing that I can say that I've learned for sure is that you just never know where life is going to take you. I never could have imagined that I would be in the place that I currently find myself. The longer I live, the bigger and more mysterious and magical and beautiful life seems to be. Though I can say with all honesty that I've learned so much with the passing of years, I can also attest with equal honesty that the more I learn, the less I seem to know (if that makes any sense?). I greatly enjoy the increased perspective that the years bring. Our society may worship youth, and youth definitely has its advantages (especially physically), but there's nothing comparable to lived experience - and that only comes with age.

This birthday, my reflections are filled with hope and gratitude: hope for the future and gratitude for the past and present.

If I were a denizen of the past Latin ages, I would likely receive a birthday greeting along the lines of, ad multos annos... 'to many [more] years'! Ad multos annos indeed.

Deo gratia!

- - - - - - - - - -

1 comment:

  1. Yes to `the more I learn, the less i know' and `I never imagined I would be here'. Love that life keeps things interesting!

    ReplyDelete