Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Thoughts on Human Relations: stay in touch...

- - - - - - - - - -

I was listening one of my usual podcasts the other day and I heard an interesting (though not uncommon) phrase: "You can keep in touch with us through facebook and twitter."

I thought this an interesting expression, "keep in touch."  Even a similar expression, "stay in contact," strikes me as slightly odd.  How can we be said to "stay in contact" or "keep in touch" when the entire physicality of the interaction has been removed.  There's no "touch" involved with these electronically mediated forms of communication: texting, tweeting, fbooking, emailing, even phoning.

Don't worry, this isn't going to be post where I bash these various forms of communication.  I'll save that critique for another post.

What strikes me the most is this idea of presence... physical presence.  It is an amazing thing to be present with someone.  My dear wife and I often go for walks after dinner.  We walk and hold hands and enjoy the evening.  Yes, we often talk and reflect on our day; but much of the value is found in sharing time and space with each other.

What is it that we find comforting about the presence of a loved one?  What is it about a hug that moves us?  If we are hurting, words can only do so much to help - but a hug, or the mere presence of a loved one... it can do so much more.

We have been created as beings comprising both body and soul.  It seems an amazing thing that these two aspects (parts?) of us are so intrinsically connected.  What is a kiss?  Is it merely the pressing together of two sets of lips?  No, it can be so much more.  How ignorant are we as a culture in trying to separate the physical and the spiritual in the sexual act?  It is an utter denial of our basic humanity.  How silly is it to think that electronically mediated communication can ever compare to being present with another human being?

Texting, emailing, fbooking (yes, I'm using it as a verb), etc... these are often better than no contact at all when our friends or family are a great distance away.  But whenever possible, I want to share time and space with those I care about.  I want to see their face, hear their laugh, shake their hand.  That is how human beings have being designed to relate.  There's something incredible about that.

When the Divine decided to give his ultimate self-revelation to his creation, he didn't do it through spirit alone... he did it through human flesh.  Jesus walked with his disciples; he talked with them; he ate with them.  In God's fullest revelation to humanity, Jesus, we have our greatest example.

Keep in touch.

- - - - - - - - - -

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tyler, I've been thinking a lot about the use of electronically mediated forms of communication and particularly in the context of job search (since I am a Career Counsellor.) Though we do encourage clients to try to utilize as many mediums as possible when looking for work (e.g. applying online, LinkedIn, etc), I still think one of the most effective ways to make connections and find work is through approaching people. Which (when you are job searching) can be really scary, but there's something about being able to shake someone's hand and look them in the eyes that conveys a lot - like you said, I think we're designed to relate like that! Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete