Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Thoughts on Father's Day...

- - - - - - - - - -

The words I wish to hear... I'll never get to hear.

Father's day comes stealthily each year.  I forget about it and suddenly the day arrives with little to no fanfare; and exits in the same understated manner.

This year I came to a strange realization: I've now lived more of my life without my father than I had lived with him.  He passed away many years ago.  He never knew me as a man.

I would love for nothing more than to hear him tell me that he's proud of me, of the man that I've become.  I know that he would be proud of me.

There are words that I'll never get to say to him.  I'll never get to tell him that I love him.

I trust that the time will come, after I pass through that great mortal curtain, when we will meet again with joy and tears and great unspoken words of love.

Still, I would love to have him here to meet as men.

- - - - - - - - - -

2 comments: