Thursday, February 21, 2013

Thoughts on wealth and sufficiency...

- - - - - - - - - -

There is a Hebrew word, הוֹן (hon), which carries a semantic range of meaning which includes both 'wealth' and 'sufficiency'.

It is a great place to be when one possesses this.  I am not in the career to which I aspire and am currently underemployed.  There are goals to which my wife and I would like to move towards... we are certainly not there.  But, having said this, I do feel like a rich man.  I am greatly content with the life and the gifts that I have been entrusted with.

Our society is geared towards the mindset of bigger and more, towards discontentment and unfulfilled desire.  We are constantly made to feel that 'enough' is a place at which we will arrive someday (but we tacitly know that 'enough' is a moving horizon).

A man who feels truly content, who feels that he is sufficiently provided for in all things, is a blessed man indeed.

Deo Gratias

- - - - - - - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment