Wednesday, August 12, 2009

On Perspective: Oh the riches I possess...

Could I be the richest man to ever have lived? I just may be. King Solomon, Augustus Caesar, Jerry Seinfeld... oh they had wealth, but richer than I... No, I don't think so. Now, you might be thinking to yourself, 'what a truly ridiculous thing to say'; and you may be right. But that need not detract from the truth of the statement. I found myself musing about this very thing today as I leisurely strolled to the grocery store to pick up a couple items.

Sure I don't have many toys, I ride the bus or walk most of the year, and a large majority of the clothes in my closet are almost old enough to vote, but I think that I'm a rich man nonetheless. I have a healthy body and a (vibrantly) healthy mind, I have food on my table every night, I'm young and excited about life, I have the unmerited love of a good woman, I have wonderful family and friends, I have the glory of creation all around me (and today the radiant sun hanging above in the the picturesque, Monet-like vanilla sky), and I have leisure time to read great literature and contemplate life. Today I feel like a rich man indeed.

True, tomorrow I may feel the weight of poverty upon my soul, but I'll still be just as rich then as I am today; I just won't be graced with the recognition of it. There are moments in life (and they seem to come more often than I deserve) when the clouds part (both the physical and metaphorical ones) and the infinite depth and beauty of life shine unhindered into the soul. It is in these moments that divine perspective is granted. In this ephemeral brush with the divine, this fleeting glimpse of transcendent reality, I am lifted up to see myself and the world in a whole new way.

The best way I can come to explain this perspective is 'gratitude'. It is a recognition of all that I have and a thankful elation for these things. My youth may fade, my health decline, I may even have less on the table each night, who knows? I don't imagine that such changes could affect this perspective, this gratitude, as my wealth is not based on material goods. What is it then that I am truly grateful for, what is it that I see and recognize as my immeasurable wealth? I think it's love. This may be the very substance of my riches. The interesting thing is that while I feel gratitude for the love that has been extended to me, this gratitude also fosters love in turn.

For all my musings, and all my words, I still think that best expression I can give to this gratuitous perspective is a smile; the kind of smile which begins deep in my soul and finishes as a broad grin upon my face. For all the though and contemplation, sometimes the best response is also the simplest.

So, if you ever see me strolling along with a contented smile on my face... know that I am a rich man indeed.

3 comments:

  1. I tell ya - you give a man a master card, and all-of-a-sudden he thinks he's rich!! :)
    I love the way you write, T.C.! I look forward to the day when you finally publish your own book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling to which you refer. It's a very good one. I feel it pretty strongly right now too.

    So, so glad you are blogging. Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyler, so glad you decided to enter the blog world. I look forward to reading your thoughts, although, I guess we could always just have you over for dinner and talk about them:) Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete