Wednesday, November 4, 2009

They stood there before me unashamed: naked and beautiful...

Yesterday, having finished work while still in the late morning, I decided it was time to take my weekly walk to the local farm market for our produce. I tend to enjoy these walks as I often give myself plenty of time to stroll the neighbourhood on the way to and from. On my way back this day I decided to stroll down one of my favourite streets of the neighbourhood, just one street back from us. I especially enjoy this street due to all the majestic trees which line both sides and tower overhead as you walk. I had been looking forward to the colours these trees would take on this fall season, since I remembered from last year that their leaves tended to be quite lovely. Of course I was not disappointed when, over the course of the last month, they came alive with colour. On this afternoon as I walked beneath their outstretched arms I was struck by how naked they’ve become. Beneath my feet I saw the fiery oranges and reds that I was so fond of – leaves trampled and mashed. With the leaves having left their branches, I was surprised to find that these trees were no less majestic and beautiful. It was a different beauty to be sure, but I could now see the trees in a way that had previously been masked. Stark, naked, and striking against the background blue sky - yes, they were certainly beautiful to behold.

As I gazed upon these arboreal neighbours of mine, I began to wonder if we humans cannot likewise be seen as beautiful when we are ‘unmasked’ of our ‘leaves’. We too have ‘colours’ that we put on to impress others. Could I stand before my neighbours as ‘naked’ as these trees? Could I view those around me as beautiful without the pomp and presentation that normally accompanies life?

These trees looked so exposed and vulnerable to me. If I took off my mask, my presentation of self, would I too look as vulnerable? Would I be any more or less than what I already am? I think that, just as with the trees, I would not. These trees were humble. Humility is not a matter of self-abasement or low self-esteem; humility is rooted in a proper understanding of the realities of human nature, of our strengths and our weaknesses. Putting aside such pretenses will not change the reality of my strengths. Nor will any amount of ‘leaves’ change the reality of my weakness and frailty.

These trees made me think of those all around who are weak, vulnerable and exposed. Could I learn to see them, in all their ‘nakedness’, as beautiful? I pray that I might learn to.

No comments:

Post a Comment