Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent Begins: Domine, miserere

"Remember, man is dust, and to dust you shall return"

These are the words with which we are invited into the Lenten season on Ash Wednesday. It is a season of preparation, a season of prayer, fasting, alms, and repentance in expectation of Easter. For the forty days prior to Easter (not including Sundays, of course) Christians focus on the various spiritual disciplines through which we order our lives towards Christ.

Lent is one of my favourite seasons in the Liturgical calendar. Lent is a much need realignment of the self towards our proper focus, God. Every year, as Lent progresses, I increasingly realize how much I desperately need this realignment, this refocusing.

This year, perhaps more than most, I am noticing how difficult it is to participate in the Christian practices of Lent within the framework of our culture.

Come what may, these forty days, I shall follow Jesus into the desert; and there kneeled before him I shall pray, Domine, miserere - Lord have mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment