Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Floral Analogies for Life...

----------

While walking home from work the other afternoon, which was another gorgeous, summery day, I was struck by the beautiful analogies which nature provides for us. As if out of nowhere, lovely flowers of all colours have appeared all over town here. Particularly in front of our municipal museum there are many beautiful yellow flowers. They have vibrant, strong green limbs and leaves and their delicate yellow petals were opened up as they soaked in the sun’s warm rays. I was reminded of a hymn that we had sung recently at our church.

Joyful, joyful, we adore Thee, God of glory, Lord of love;
Hearts unfold like flowers before Thee, opening to the sun above.

These lyrics present a magnificent analogy for the potential movement of the human heart. As I looked across the little sea of yellow flowers that were opened wide, drinking in the sun’s gift, my heart likewise unfolded and drank in the ambient glory that shone down on me.

I noticed some flowers which had yet to open. Their petals were small, closed, and more green than yellow. They were apparently not ready to greet the sun with open arms. Again, a very apt analogy. Life is a journey of growth in which we begin to open our petals and greet our life’s sustenance. Many of us are not yet ready to drink deep from the source; we are still small and green. As our hearts begin to change colour and unfold, it is indeed a glorious sight to behold.

My hope and prayer for myself and all my loved ones, family and friends, is that our hearts will indeed learn to unfold and welcome the life giving rays which are our sustenance.

----------

No comments:

Post a Comment