Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thoughts on my father and my son...

- - - - - - - - -

John Elliott Curll
1943 - 1994
That's my father in the top middle (and that handsome little guy on the bottom left was me)

Today (Jan 25) is my father's birthday.  He passed away several years ago, but he would have been 69 years old today if he was still around.  I can't imagine my father being that old.  Most of my memories of him are when we my family was still intact - I was young, he was big and strong.  I have many memories of him working out in the yard.  He built fences, made gardens, constructed a giant swing set, worked on the cars or on the house.  In my memories he was big, strong, and usually very tanned (I have no memories of him with his shirt on in the summer time).  No, I can't imagine what a 69 year old Elliott would look like.

My son, Isaac Elliott Curll, is named after him.  

As I sit here late at night with Isaac sleeping against my chest (he is fussy and seems at times to only sleep if strapped to my chest) I can only imagine how proud my father would be to meet his grandson.  I know that my father would be proud to see where I am and who I am.  But it brings tears to my eyes to think about my father holding my son.  I trust that one day they will meet many years from now when they are both in the arms of our Lord - yeah, that's a bit comforting.  Still...

My father was thirty-five when he had me.  It struck me today that he was only a two years older when he had me than I am now with my newborn son.  If the pattern holds, I'll be in my late sixties before I might be a grandfather and hold a little grandchild.  I pray that God will grant me such a blessing.

My father will not hold little Isaac Elliott.  But I will take great joy in ensuring that Isaac grows up knowing where his middle name came from.

Father - I pray that you are resting in peace.  I look forward to seeing you again one day.

Gloria Deo

- - - - - - - - -

2 comments:

  1. Tyler - thank you for sharing about your dad:) I am sure he would be proud! What a journey parenthood is, brings out so many mixed emotions. You and jackie are doing great! Great team work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Tyler. It's too bad that this is something that we share in common; the loss of a parent. I have learned that my children will know my mom by the words I use, actions I show, and traditions we keep. I hope you too will have those times where you feel connected to your father through fathering Isaac.
    PS Not to be annoying but I think 35+33 puts your dad being closer to 69:)

    ReplyDelete