Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Thoughts on the Paths we Choose (and those we do not choose)...

- - - - - - - - - -

I was sitting in class this morning and one of my classmates showed me a picture of his girlfriend.  She is currently working on her Ph.D. somewhere back East right now.  It turns out that she graduated with her Bachelor's degree from the same University as me, the same year as me.

I was suddenly struck with emotion.  Here I was sitting in a first year Sociology class at a community college (technically an University, but really...) and this woman who had graduated the same time as me was working on finishing up her Ph.D.  I had been planning on taking that path before changing plans completely.  I think what I felt was a sense of loss.

I was a little bit conflicted.  I felt a sense of loss for what could have been... but I love where I am and wouldn't trade it for the world.

After a moment, I let it pass.  I would gladly take the wonderful reality that I have right now (with dirty diapers, loss of sleep, and all the rest) over a thousand potentials that might have been.  Nonetheless, we often struggle to come to terms with our past expectations when compared with the path we have chosen and where we currently find ourselves.  If only for a moment, I inwardly lamented the 'loss'.  Just for a moment... then I thought, "screw it! I'm heading home to my beautiful wife and son".  Indeed, I have suffered no loss, only wonderful, unexpected gain.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Gratias Deo

- - - - - - - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment