Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Arab World: A Time of Hope?

- - - - - - - - - -

It is hard not to get excited.  First there was Tunisia.  Then the dramatic events in Egypt.  Now we hear of protests and public demonstrations in Yemen, Bahrain, Iran, and even Libya.  Fueled by discontent at the economic and social injustices of their various nations, first the youth, and then people of all walks of life, have risen up to let their voices be heard.  From North Africa to the Persian Gulf something seems to be in the air: freedom?

The leaders of these various nations continue to fall back on questions of safety and security as justification for not heeding the people's cry.  Yes, safety and security are real issues, real necessities for a civil society.  But can you have a civil society without a certain amount of freedom (social, political, and economic)?

I watch to new and follow along as I have time.  Indeed it is difficult not to get excited.  I continue to hope and pray for the peoples of these nations.  Is a change sweeping the Arabic world?  Will I one day be telling my children about this time?  Unlike some in the West, I don't wish for those in North Africa and the Middle East to turn into a mirror image of the West.  But I do wish for them many of the freedoms that we in the West enjoy.  I wish for their voices to be heard.

How can I not be hopeful when I see people of all ages, people of different religions and walks of life joining together in their common humanity crying out for justice.  Peaceful resistance in the face of injustice gives me hope.

Pax tibi

- - - - - - - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment