Wednesday, February 23, 2011

One of my favourite stories: The Martyrdom of Polycarp

- - - - - - - - - -

Excerpt from the Martyrdom of Polycarp (155CE)

And then, as he was brought forward, there was a great uproar when they heard that Polycarp had been arrested.  Therefore, when he was brought before him, the proconsul asked if he were Polycarp.  And when he confessed that he was, the proconsul tried to persuade him to recant, saying, "Have respect for you age," and other such things as they are accustomed to say: "Swear by the genius of Caesar; repent; say, 'Away with the athiests!'"  So Polycarp solemnly looked at the whole crowd of lawless heathen who were in the stadium, motioned toward them with his hand, and then (groaning and looking up to heaven) said, "Away with the atheists!"  But when the magistrate persisted and said, "Swear the oath, and I will release you; revile Christ," Polycarp replied, "For eighty-six years I have been his servant, and he has done me no wrong. How can I blaspheme my King who saved me?"


But as he continued to insist, saying, "Swear by the genius of the Caesar," he answered: "If you vainly suppose that I will swear by the genius of Caesar, as you request, and pretend not to know who I am, listen carefully: I am a Christian...  (Martyrdom Polycarp 9.1b-10.1a)

- - - - - - - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment