Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thoughts on Reading: the importance of literature...

- - - - - - - - - -

I read. I like to read – I mean really like to read. My parents were readers and I’m a reader. Since I’m currently working on my M.A. thesis, sometimes I read for days on end (and generally enjoy it). I’ve always thought that there is something magical about literature. We often take it for granted, but I do think it really is quite something.. Think about it: one person (or a printer) makes marks on a page and another person (separated by time and space) can accurately interpret meaning from these symbols. These marks on a page can have the power to elicit strong emotional response; to impart knowledge; to alter the way people think; and even to change peoples lives. The great religions of the world (to varying degrees and in varying ways) look to words on a page as guides for spiritual knowledge and direction. Ever since the invention of writing (in my humble opinion) there hasn’t been so powerful a force at work in human society.

I recently heard an interview of a Canadian author, Yann Martel. Thought he was being interviewed primarily regarding his recent book, Beatrice and Virgil, he also discussed the need for literature. Though I’ve yet to read any of his works, I found the discussion thoroughly interesting:

“If you never nourish yourself from literature, how do you dream, how do you have vision, how do you know the other? Reading is like traveling. Reading informs our vision of life… I think reading at the very least, at the very, very least gives you knowledge – but I think a little bit more, it increases your empathy.”

Through literature one can ‘experience’ what the lives of others are like. Literature can help one to see the world through another’s eyes. I can read a book and get a glimpse into life in 19th century industrial London, modern Afghanistan, or 4th century Roman Africa; I can ‘see’ through the eyes of mothers, soldiers, nurses, politicians, and ordinary people of every race and background. Literature gives the opportunity to broaden one’s perspective and view events and issues differently. I think Martel is correct: it certainly can increase one’s empathy.

In a society that (over)emphasizes technological and economical capabilities and related forms of education, it is vital to remember the important role that literature can play in positively forming individuals and society as a whole.

Reading is important – and if you ask me, mighty enjoyable.

- - - - - - - - - -

3 comments:

  1. I must say most of my reading is probably a little lighter than yours, but I definately enjoy a good book. My way to relax for sure!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love reading!! I have `Life of Pi' by Yann Martel if you want to borrow it. My book club was reading Beatrice and Virgil this month but I couldn't make it. My dad always let us stay up as late as we wanted as long as we read...and boy, did I read!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, I remember reading being an encouraged activity in our household...I remember staying up until 2am as a young child, reading Danielle Steele...maybe not the greatest type of reading, but there were good intentions! :)

    ReplyDelete