Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thoughts on Judging: intentions, actions, and mercy...

- - - - - - - - - -

Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? (Matthew 7.1-3)

It has been said that though we like to be judged by our intentions we often judge others by the results of their actions… I’ve been thinking about this sentiment recently, and I think that too often it is true. In a way, though, it makes perfect sense. Think about it. I can’t see another person’s intent; I can only see their actions and the results of them. It takes more time and effort to consider that there was an intent behind the actions, possibly one which might have little in common with the subsequent result. I would certainly appreciate others taking the time and making the effort to consider my possible intentions prior to their judging me based on the results of my actions.

There is another common tendency that I have often noticed in how people go about judging others. When drawing the lines regarding what is acceptable behaviour and what is not, often I see people arbitrarily drawing that line just beyond where they stand. This is to say, that their default measure of judgment, not surprisingly, tends to place them within the acceptable bounds, while others can easily fall on the other side of the line. I’m sure we’ve all taken this approach at one time or another (I know that I have): “Well, I may do this, but at least I don’t do thatthat is inexcusable”. Meanwhile it is entirely possible that someone else is thinking that exact thing about me and my actions.

Jesus (as we see in the above passage) is not merely giving the command to avoid judging others; moreover, He is asking us to consider what is involved in judging. We are to consider ourselves and our own actions as much as we consider the actions of others, which we will inevitably do at some point or other. Each time I am tempted to judge another, Jesus’ words draw me into considering my own actions, my own motivations and intentions, as well as the different measure which I use for others and myself. In the parallel Lukan account, we find Jesus’ teaching further explained (for those of us who are a little slow at connecting the dots):

Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned. Give, and it will be given to you… For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return. (Luke 6.36-38)

Here Jesus takes us past our predilection for judging into the proper response to the actions of others: mercy and pardon. This ought to be the result of my judging tendencies. Thus, when I am tempted to judge another, I ought to reflect, consider, and pardon. Mercy is the standard by which I hope to be judged – mercy is the standard by which I must judge others.

- - - - - - - - - -

2 comments:

  1. You should ask Jackie to read you the line from the letter that my mom wrote us. It's just that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya...one of mom's choice of scripture for her memorial service had one regarding judgment...she did not appreciate people judging one another!

    ReplyDelete