Thursday, September 3, 2009

Greta: from time to time...

It's strange; from time to time I think of this woman whom I never had the privilege of meeting. She passed away shortly before my wife (then girlfriend) and I started dating. She was/is my dear wife's mother, Greta.

My first introduction to the family was at Greta's memorial service. I vividly remember sitting by myself in the crowded church and watching/listening as her life, and the person she was, was recounted by her family and loved ones. More than just talked about, I remember how it was somehow made evident in a tangible way through her husband and daughters. As her five daughters, each her favourite ;), shared memories and thoughts, as her husband, Jack (whom I don't think I had met yet either) regaled the gathered crowd with anecdotes, I was struck by the impact this woman had had on the lives of her family. I enjoyed the service and was very glad that I had decided to come. It felt as though I had met Greta vicariously through her family and friends, at least in some small way.

I do think about Greta from time to time. I'll pass by a picture of her and Jack and I'll wonder to myself who this woman with the lovely smile was. I quite enjoy spending time with Jack and all the daughters when I am able; and I always enjoy hearing tales of years gone by and remembrances of Greta. I may not have known her, but I do know this: she is loved and missed by all who had the honour of knowing her.

Greta, requiescat in pace domini nostri...

3 comments:

  1. Tyler, the first time I met you was at her memorial. I'm so glad that you came and I'm sure Jackie is too. A great chance to get to `know' her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler - I don't know what you said at the bottom - may need a translation. She was definately sooooo amazing and I hope that you continue to see her and get to know her through us girls and my dad. I know she would be so proud of jackie and you and glad you two found each other. She would have approved as well - especially as I think your teeth are pretty good :o) (that was a pre-req for dating a dekens girl.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "requiescat in pace domini nostri"

    Latin for "may you rest in the peace of our Lord"

    ReplyDelete