Monday, September 14, 2009

Strangely difficult words to say...

Why is it so difficult to answer with the words, "I don't know". Often they are the most truthful of response. Is it pride? Is it my academic training which pushes me to respond with a well-reasoned hypothesis as if it were solid knowledge? Whatever the case, I think that often these are not only the most truthful words to respond with, but also the most beneficial. Especially in matters of faith and religion it seems to me that humility and proper acknowledgment of ignorance is duly warranted. For me this sometimes takes conscious effort. 'Oh, you're doing a MA in Biblical Studies... what does this passage mean? What did Jesus mean when he said this?' The truth is that I may have gained some insight into this or that, but ultimately I'm still dealing with a God who is wrapped in mystery and infinitely beyond my understanding. This is not to suggest that I have nothing to add to a discussion on such topics, or that my education is not of particular benefit in these matters; instead it is to give recognition to the enormity of such questions and due respect to the divine Creator and His revelation to us.

From the sayings of the Desert Fathers:
"One day some of the brethren came to see Abba Antony, and among them was Abba Joseph. Wishing to test them, the old man mentioned a text from Scripture, and starting with the youngest he asked them what it meant. Each explained it as best he could. But to each one the old man said, "You have not yet found the answer." Last of all he said to Abba Joseph, "And what do you think the text means?" He replied, "I do not know." Then Abba Antony said, "Truly, Abba Joseph has found the way, for he said: I do not know.""

By no means am I suggesting a false of put-on humility. If we feel we know something, there is no reason to pretend otherwise. What I am talking about here is the perceived need to have an answer when we truly do not. Why this is dangerous (at least from my point of view) is that if I am not teachable, then I will not learn. If I do not learn, then how am I to grow.

I've often told my wife that I'm not smarter than her, or filled with great wisdom and knowledge... I've just read a few more books on the topic. It seems to me that humility is the only proper demeanor when dealing in such matters. Everything I know, I've learned from others. There really is no room for pride since countless others have, in patience and generosity, helped to teach and guide me where I did not know to go.

The issue is not necessarily whether I know or not. I don't have to always answer, "I don't know". The issue is instead responding with humility with what I do know, and honesty in what I do not.

2 comments:

  1. You're right. You're not smarter than me. :) But yes, you have read more books than I have on certain topics.
    Good times, T.C.. It's always interesting when people find out I'm a nurse, some will say "Oh, I have this rash..." (or something of that sort). But before they start wanting to show me the rash, VERY important to say "I don't know!".
    But yes, you're right. It's tough to say "I don't know" at times, yet saying this is often the start of when I begin to learn something again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a science teacher, it is expected that you know everything about biology, physics, astronomy and chemistry. EVERYTHING. I used to have such a hard time saying `I don't know'. Now, no problem. I just look it up, and then I know a little more. It was def. a pride thing for me:)

    ReplyDelete