Friday, September 18, 2009

Right Here, Right Now: On Waiting...

This morning I woke up early to frantically finish my translations of St. Augustine’s “Propositions on Romans” (Expositio Quarundam Propositionum Ex Epistola Ad Romanos) for class. After working away for a few hours in my study I raced off to get to the library as it opened to get in a few more good hours before class. I tell you, there is nothing quite like a motorcycle ride early in the morning – this being an especially pleasant early fall morning, it was fantastic. The only problem is that I have to go through Langley City to get to campus, the same Langley City that has trains running right through the middle of it that stop up traffic for blocks. But then I realized, it’s not a problem at all. As the huge metal beast sped by I turned off my bike, leaned back and relaxed. While I gazed out over the early morning sky – majestic Baker standing strong and proud out in the distance with the rising sun highlighting the contours of snow and rock, the delicate clouds rippling outwards from the Western horizon to fill the very heights of heaven – I realized that this is the very substance of life, not just some filler that lies between home and work. I let the sights and sounds of the new day seep into me and it dawned on me that there is no where else I ought to be but right here, right now, waiting for a train.

2 comments:

  1. Talking about Mt. Baker, you and Jackie should summit it! You need a guide, but truly an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler, you have a blog... this is so exciting.

    I've learned that not every view of Mt. Baker is created equal. It looks especially majestic from Canada, but from the south is kind of annoyingly cone-shaped. From the south east it's not too bad either.

    ReplyDelete