Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Countdown: Songs of Christmas...

- - - - - - - - - -

Christmas would not be the same without the near crushing barrage of seasonal songs.  In the early stages (i.e. October/November) I try to ignore them.  But as Advent begins and Christmas draws nearer, I come to embrace and enjoy them.  There are certain hymns that I cannot bring myself to sing ("Joy to the World", "Hark the Herald Angels Sing", etc.) since prior to Christmas we are still in anticipation of the Incarnation and ought not to celebrate it yet (at least in my humble opinion).  But there are still many 'Christmas' songs that I thoroughly enjoy.  Hence, I'm going to take a page from my brother's example and share some of my favourite songs of the season.  So, over the next couple weeks I will randomly post on some of them.  Be prepared.

Starting if off:

#20     Bing Crosby, 'White Christmas' (1942)
Classic, classic, classic.  This one is the paradigmatic song of idealized Christmases past.  And seriously, who doesn't love a white Christmas.


#19     Burl Ives, 'Holly Jolly Christmas' (1965)
You gotta enjoy this guy's voice.  Yes, it is both holly and jolly.  This one was originally done for the Holiday Classic Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer movie. 
Though, I must add, it does have a slightly awkward bit of lyrics in it:
Ho ho the mistletoe
Hung where you can see
Somebody waits for you
Kiss her once for me


- - - - - - - - - -

1 comment:

  1. Appreciate your thoughts on the celebratory songs that come before the day...interesting. Although, around here, we sing a whole lot of `Happy Birthday' before the big day to get the boys excited. Not sure how that correlates but for them, the early celebration contributes to the anticipation.

    ReplyDelete