Monday, December 13, 2010

Songs of Christmas: #14-11

- - - - - - - - - -


#14 U2, "I Believe in Father Christmas" (2009)

I'm not sure why I've ranked this one so high other than I am currently intrigued by it.  Yes, I enjoy the song (I have no problem listening to Bono sing - love it), but it is the lyrics that are currently drawing me in. 

The song (written by Greg Lake) explores the questioning of Christmas that many of us do as we grow up.  This song takes the listening/reader on a journey: describing the promises that children are given regarding Christmas, the disillusionment that often comes with growing up, and the discovery of a deeper meaning (?).  I enjoy songs that initiate deeper inquiry and personal exploration.
They said there'll be snow at Christmas,
They said there'll be peace on earth,
But instead it just kept on raining,
A veil of tears for the Virgin birth.

#13 Joni Mitchell, "River" (1971)

Probably not the first song that comes to mind when people think 'Christmas'.  Nonetheless, it is a legitimate Christmas song.  Joni is a Canadian legend and this song is top-tier in her musical repertoire.  Yes, another song about difficulty during the holidays: emotional turmoil is never pleasant, least of all during the Christmas season - and Joni wants to go back home to escape (back home to the Canadian prairies).
I've long enjoyed this song.  Especially the lyrics:
It's coming on Christmas
They're cutting down trees
They're putting up reindeer
And singing songs of joy and peace
Oh I wish I had a river I could skate away on

I learned to skate long before my memory begins and as long as I've been skating I've thought that it would be the coolest thing to have a frozen river that I could skate on (one that went on for miles and miles).

Best Cover: Sarah McLachlan - Her 2006 Christmas album, "Wintersong" is one of the best to come along in recent memory.

Reader Recommended Cover: Herbie Hancock ft. Corinne Bailey-Rae



#12 Vince Guaraldi, "Lucy and Linus" (1964)

This song is so much fun, so full of life.  If there was a reason to learn to play the piano... this song is it.

There's the added bonus that the Charlie Brown Christmas movie is an intrinsic part of childhood (at least for me - and one day for my children).  Speaking of asking the deep questions about the nature of Christmas, poor Charlie Brown sets out on the quest for the true meaning of Christmas.  The commercialization of the holiday season is ubiquitous, it's inescapable.  How can we get beneath the alluring veneer of shiny aluminum Christmas trees and ground the holiday season in something of value?  This is Charlie Brown's quest.

But the song... oh the song... it reeks of the sweet smell of life. It is a thoroughly (re)vivifying experience - just like Christmas.

p.s. a special nod to The Royal Guardsmen, "Snoopy's Christmas" (1967) - my favourite part: the Red Baron saying, "Merry Christmas mein friend".



#11 David Bowie and Bing Crosby, "Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy" (1977)

As a testimony to the sheer quality of this duet, let me be clear: I have a strong dislike for "Little Drummer Boy".  It is probably the worst (or at least most annoying) of the Christmas classics.  That being said, I think this rendition of it is great.  Bowie sings his part beautifully.  Plus, the video is wonderfully hilarious.  It is so contrived, so typically TV special.

[I guess this makes two on the list for Bing]




- - - - - - - - - -

2 comments:

  1. Tyler, you must be familiar with the 'River' cover by Herbie Hancock and Corrine Bailey Rae, off the 'Stockings by the Fire' album that our beloved Starbucks put out a couple years ago. I think it rivals Sarah McLachlan's, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually my friend, I'm not familiar with it. Thanks to your recommendation, though, I'm listening to it right now. It has a much different feel somehow. Yes, very enjoyable. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete