Monday, December 6, 2010

Some days are heavier than others...

- - - - - - - - - -

Indeed, some days are heavier than others.  Some days seem to stretch out like an almost endless landscape of slow drudgery - wearying the eyes, the limbs and the heart.  Shoulders and disposition alike are bent low under the weight.

There are words that become too familiar, phrases so common that they seem to loose all meaning and relevance.  But then these words suddenly rush in like a cool breeze, bringing life and refreshment, filling the lungs with oxygen and the soul with hope.  I was doing my daily Latin translation when I came across these words:


Venite ad me, omnes, qui laboratis et onerati estis, et ego reficiam vos. Tollite iugum meum super vos et discite a me, quia mitis sum et humilis corde, et invenietis requiem animabus vestris.

Come to me, all you who are labouring and have been burdened and I shall restore you; take my yoke upon you and learn from me because I am meek and humble of heart, and you shall find rest for your souls.

These words reached out to the deepest parts of my being and I suddenly became awash in desire for this rest.  Along with this desire came a sense of peace.  Even more than we desire rest, He desires that we should find it in Him. 

Reaching out to me through the weariness and burden, these words were no longer mere words: they were a call, a revivifying imperative.  Out of His boundless love He calls to us.  Such a beautiful call...

Venite ad me

- - - - - - - - - -

1 comment:

  1. I definately relate to some days being a little sluggish/long at times. I love the days that go along nicely and make me content. I love to feel rested/peaceful

    ReplyDelete