Friday, December 17, 2010

Songs of Christmas: #5 & 4

- - - - - - - - - -

#5 John & Yoko w/ The Plastic Ono Band, "Happy Xmas (War is Over)" (1971)

 Is this a Vietnam protest song or a Christmas song?  Well, it was a protest song... now it's a Christmas song.  Look at these lyrics and tell me it isn't a true Christmas (well maybe Xmas) song:

And so this is Xmas
For weak and for strong
For rich and the poor ones
The world is so wrong
And so happy Xmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight

A very Merry Xmas

And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear
You know, now that I think about it, perhaps this is more an Advent song.  John and Yoko (along with their Plastic Ono Band and the Harlem Community Choir) wish us a Merry/Happy Xmas; but they also prompt us to some reflection on what Christmas is about.  What is Christmas for the 'weak and the poor ones'?  What does Christmas have to say to the black and white ones, the yellow and red ones, all the various people who continue to fight?  Advent is a time of reflection on the state of the world, the state of ourselves; it is a time of reflection on the coming Messiah.  We are reminded of humanity's need for Him and our need for Him.  We are asked to contemplate our own role in the world, in the lives of those around us.  John and Yoko throw the question right in our faces here:
And so this is Xmas
And what have we done
Another year over
A new one just begun
Whatever you think of this song, it is indefinably ingrained in our Christmas psyche.  It is here to stay.  And I like it!  This Christmas time (or perhaps this Advent) take a moment to consider these things.  Take a moment to ask yourself: 'what have we done'?


#4 The Barenaked Ladies w/ Sarah McLachlan, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings" (2004)

To be honest, I'm actually surprised that this one didn't rank higher.  This is probably the only Christmas song that I listen to year round.  Seriously, I even put it on a mixed CD that made for my wife to keep in her car.  The Barenaked ladies are so much fun.  Combine their energy with Sarah's beautiful vocals... a winner is born.

I don't think I had ever really listened to either of these songs prior to hearing this recording.  Now, I sing it all the time.

I haven't yet heard the rest of the album but I can only imagine what a Barenaked holiday would be like - fun.

- - - - - - - - - -

3 comments:

  1. I'm suprised at how many of these songs have been covered by Sarah McLachlan on Wintersong, and covered well. I had no idea that #5 was a John&Yoko tune... Is it bad that I like the wintersong version better than the original?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it bad that Wintersong is an amazing album? No.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing your #1 = "Mary's boy child, Jesus Christ, was born, on Christmas day..." (you know, the one where you seem to be forced to get up, kick off your sandals, and then hop around and fist-pump around our kitchen). Am I right???

    ReplyDelete