Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Give Peace a Chance...

- - - - - - - - - -

I remember many years ago listening to John Lennon's 'Imagine', thinking what a truly beautiful song it is.  Now, with different eyes and different ears, I listen to it and I think to myself, what a beautiful sentiment.  It is a wonderful song.  But I listen to it now and I realize that he was so close, yet not close at all.  Peace is a wonderful sentiment, but it ought to be more than a sentiment.  Lennon imagined peace as resulting from the putting aside of religion.  That I cannot agree with.  It is easy as a modern to assume that religion has only brought conflict and fail to recognize that religion has been responsible for those ideals that we most value.

Peace can only come through that great gift given so long ago in Bethlehem - Mary's child, our saviour.  John may not have been able to see this; nonetheless, his desire for peace ought to be remembered, respected, and emulated.

Indeed, 'Give peace a Chance'...

John Lennon  (9 October 1940 - 8 December 1980)
Requiescat in pace

- - - - - - - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment