Saturday, December 18, 2010

Songs of Christmas: #3

- - - - - - - - - -

#3 Boney M, "Mary's Boy Child - Oh My Lord" (1978)
Is this Christmas or a toga party?

We're into the top tier here  my friends.  The highest level of Christmas music... or is it?  I suspect I will get two kinds of reactions to this one:
1) "Awesome, I love this song!!!"
2) "Seriously? You've got to be kiddin' me."
Whatever your reaction might be... I'm not backing down on this pick.


Two things happened way back in 1978 that would forever alter the course of my life:
1) I was born;
2) Boney M released this single!

 Sure, Harry Belafonte gave it a good go with his original 1956 version; but when you give Boney M a listen you quickly realize the difference.  Boney M does not take it up a notch, not two... no, they drop a bomb on the song and reinvent it with power, attitude, and coolness in excess of recommended safety guidelines.

 As my dear wife is fond of pointing out, according to the immutable laws of the physical universe (I added that part), it is impossible for the Boney M hit to be playing and Tyler not to be dancing... IMPOSSIBLE I say (at the very least pumping his fists in the air to the beat and singing along with a giant grin on his face).



This song has major lyrical power - not only is the Christmas story presented, but the theological implications of that event are also given:

"and man will live for evermore because of Christmas Day"
"there is hope for all to find peace"

And then there is the amazing ''Oh My Lord' part at the end:


Oh my Lord
you send your son to save us
oh my Lord
your very self you gave us
oh my Lord
that sin may not enslave us
and love may reign once more.

Oh my Lord
when in the crib they found him
oh my lord
a golden halo crowned him
oh my Lord
they gathered all around him
to see him and adore.

Oh my Lord
with the child's adoration
oh my Lord
there came great jubilation
oh my Lord
and full of admiration
they realized what they had (until the sun falls from the sky)

Oh my Lord (well praise the Lord)
they had just begun to doubt you
oh my Lord (he is the truth forever)
what did they know about you.

Oh my Lord (so praise the Lord)
but they were lost without you
they needed you so bad (his light is shining on us)

I ask you... can you find me better lyrics for presenting reality of Christmas?  Nope, this pop song has it all right in there.

And then there's the music video for this song... well, don't even get me started on it.


Sufficed to say, I stand behind song number three.  Enjoy.




- - - - - - - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment