Friday, December 10, 2010

Songs of Christmas: #18 & 17

- - - - - - - - - -

#18 Elvis Presley, 'Blue Christmas' (1957)

This "heart-broken tale of unrequited love during the holidays" is a staple of the Christmas musical season.  There are plenty of cheery songs of idyllic holiday bliss out there;  we need some sad songs to balance them out and keep us grounded in reality.  This is one of my favourite sad Christmas songs.  Even Elvis needs a place in our holiday season.

Alternate Versions: Engelbert Humperdinck; Jon Bon Jovi; Billy Idol; Céline Dion; Porky Pig.  Conclusion: They all sound like they're trying to be Elvis (yes, even Céline)... therefore, just go straight to Elvis.
p.s. if you get angered, frustrated, or annoyed easily, don't listen to the pig




#17 José Feliciano, 'Feliz Navidad' (1970) 

José wants to wish you a merry Christmas (in two languages) and I think that's great (from the bottom of my heart).  This one has very simple lyrics and is a lot of fun.  Sing with me, "Feliz Navidad, próspero año y felicidad.  I want to wish you a Merry Christmas...".

Wiki Fact: Feliciano's version of "Feliz Navidad" (in which he plays both an acoustic guitar and a Puerto Rican cuatro) is one of the most downloaded and aired Christmas songs in the United States and Canada.


- - - - - - - - - -

1 comment:

  1. When I came your blog, I didn't even know where I was at first.

    I had left the paintings of the vatican and now I had snowmen!

    Don't get me wrong - it was a delight. Just erm... surprising.

    ReplyDelete